Friday 20 September 2013

Creative Cooking | Pumpkin Pasta

This recipe appealed to me because I am a massive pasta lover, however Benn isn't so much. So to try and find new things to do with pasta other then the generic spaghetti bolonase (which Benn doesn't like..weirdo!!), I thought pumpkin and pasta would be perfect. You can find the original recipe, here, however I altered mine so I will right my version below.

Pumpkin Pasta

Ingredients

(Pumpkin Sauce)
3/4 of a full Kent Pumpkin
1 Clove Garlic
1 Red Onion
2 cups chicken stock

1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
1 Onion
1 Zucchini
1 Carrot (grated)
250g Bacon

Method

(Pumpkin sauce 1-4)

1. Chop red onion finely and heat on stove with coconut oil (or oil of your choice) I also put mine in a pot, to save on washing up ;)
2. Dice pumpkin and heat on pan with onion. Add garlic and leave for 5 mins on medium, stirring occasionally.
3.  Add the 2 cups chicken stock, mixed with hot water. Boil until soft.
4. Drain pumpkin, keep water aside to add in blended to get the perfect
smooth, runny 'sauce' consistency.
5. Place onion and pumpkin into blender and blend until smooth.
6. Keep aside until pasta is ready
7. Chop and cook the rest of the ingredients in coconut oil until brown.
8. Add Pumpkin sauce
9. Serve with pasta.

The recipe said to mix through the pasta, but I am picky and don't like my pasta mixed with my sauce until its in my bowl. The amount of ingredients I used for my pumpkin sauce made enough for two batches, so make sure you keep some aside. I sprinkled chai seeds on mine as well. Enjoy!